Corporate Counsel, Origination Partnerships
About The Position
Pagaya is a leading next-generation asset management firm founded in 2015. Combining advanced technology and financial expertise, we use artificial intelligence and state-of-the-art algorithms to uncover exceptional, low-risk high-yield opportunities in alternative credit for investors. Pagaya actively invests in US consumer credit assets.
The Pagaya team is comprised of over 100 professionals in New York and Tel Aviv with expertise in artificial intelligence, data rich alternative assets and asset management. The team manages over $1.7 billion in assets on behalf of institutional investors around the world.
Pagaya just completed its Series D financing of over $100M led by a prominent sovereign wealth fund.
As a Corporate Counsel, you will provide the highest quality support to all parts of the business with a particular focus on consumer credit origination partners, partnerships and related contracts. We are looking for a smart, motivated, self-starter to join our growing global legal team in a rapidly growing company.
The ideal candidate is a business-minded lawyer who is focused on execution and prepared to lead on important partnership deals, while collaborating with our Originations, Technology, Capital Markets and other teams within the company. To be successful in our Corporate Counsel role, we’re looking for someone who is passionate about business growth. We want a candidate who is excited by the challenge of working in a legally complex global fintech company and who welcomes the dynamic environment that comes with a growing company. This role will engage with all levels of employees and management, so social and communication skills are vital to strong working relationships.
The role reports to the Head of Legal & Chief Compliance Officer (based in New York) and will be located in New York.
- Act as a strategic business partner to draft, review and negotiate on a range of commercial agreements, particularly agreements related to asset purchases, servicing, originations, consumer credit and partnerships
- Advise and support multiple, different cross-department disciplines in the US and Israel, including originations, technology, consumer credit, capital markets, investment, sales, human resources, finance, security, privacy, etc.
- Analyze and structure complex partnership and origination programs
- Serve as the internal expert on all origination partnerships
- Assist with drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, providing insight and guidance from a regulatory perspective
- Stay on top of regulatory developments for banking/consumer credit laws and structuring partnership transactions, and advise management on new risks and opportunities
- Assist Head of Legal and Chief Compliance Officer in building a global legal department, developing and enhancing its service culture and meeting the needs of the business
- Provide any other legal or non-legal support that the business requires
- Qualified attorney in the United States (preferably NY or CA)
- 5+ years experience in US law firm and/or in-house, though right candidate could have significantly more experience
- Significant experience with origination partnerships, purchase and servicing agreements for consumer credit assets (unsecured loans, auto loans, credit cards, mortgages, real estate, point-of-sale etc.)
- Experience in US consumer credit/lending legal and regulatory regimes, including FCRA, GLBA, TILA, DPPA, UDAAP, UDAP, ECOA, HMDA, RESPA, Reg Z, Fair Lending, Reg E, Reg B etc
- Native/Fluent English (written and spoken)
- Excellent drafting of contracts and advice with minimal support from external counsel
- The ability and flexibility to work long and flexible hours based on the company’s needs
- Excellent judgment and initiative in developing creative, practical and effective solutions, using a business-first approach
- JD or LLM from accredited US law school
- Experience in consumer credit, asset management, investment, funds, fintech or artificial intelligence