Data and Regulatory Counsel
About The Position
Pagaya is a global technology-driven asset manager specializing in applying machine learning and big data analytics to alternative asset classes, including consumer credit. We manage over $1.8 billion in assets on behalf of institutional investors around the world.
As a Data and Regulatory Counsel, you will provide the highest quality regulatory and compliance advice related to data to all parts of the business. You will focus primarily on data, consumer credit and lending laws in the United States. We are looking for a smart, motivated, self-starter to join our growing global legal team in a rapidly growing company.
The ideal candidate is a practical, detail-oriented lawyer who provides business-oriented solutions to complex legal problems in uncertain regulatory frameworks related to data. As the company’s regulatory and compliance lawyer in Israel focused on data, you will analyze Pagaya’s current and future partnerships/programs and data use to determine the best scalable long-term frameworks to pursue and work with the management team to determine the optimal strategy.
To be successful in our Data and Regulatory Counsel role, we’re looking for someone who is passionate about innovative solutions that drive business growth in complex data regulatory regimes and data compliance. We want a candidate who is excited by the challenge of working in a legally complex global fintech company and who welcomes the dynamic environment that comes with a growing company. This role will engage with all levels of employees and management, so social and communication skills are vital to strong working relationships.
The role reports to the Head of Legal & Chief Compliance Officer (based in NYC) and will be located in Tel-Aviv.
- Act as a strategic business advisor to drive regulatory analysis and provide solutions, quickly and efficiently, on both clear and ambiguous regulatory issues for multiple areas, including data, originations, legal, research, engineering, and operations teams, as an integrated part of multiple working groups to facilitate partnership and program development
- Advise as to consumer data operations, usage and management, including adjusting internal compliance procedures to the organization’s needs and growth
- Assist with drafting and negotiating commercial agreements and training programs, providing insight and guidance from a regulatory perspective
- Stay on top of regulatory developments for consumer credit, lending and data, and advise management on new risks and opportunities
- Assist Head of Legal and Chief Compliance Officer in building a global legal department, developing and enhancing its service culture and meeting the needs of the business
- Provide any other legal or non-legal support that the business requires
- Qualified attorney in Israel and the United States (preferably NY or CA)
- 4+ years experience in a US law firm and/or in-house, though right candidate could have significantly more experience
- Native/Fluent Hebrew & English (written and spoken)
- Experience across consumer credit, lending and data, including FCRA, GLBA, TILA, ECOA, DPPA, UDAAP, UDAP, HMDA, HIPPA, RESPA and other regulations administered by the CFPB, FDIC, OCC, FTC and state financial services regulators, particularly usury laws, lending licensing and use of consumer data
- Experience navigating regulatory, compliance, operational and technical constraints, asking the right questions and finding the answers
- Exceptional business judgement that accounts for risk mitigation as well as business practicalities
- Excellent drafting of advice in English and Hebrew with minimal support from external counsel, summarizing complex regulatory issues
- The ability and flexibility to work long and flexible hours based on the company’s needs
- Excellent judgment and initiative in developing creative, practical and effective solutions, using a business-first approach
- JD or LLM from accredited US law school
- Experience in consumer credit, asset management, fintech or artificial intelligence