Structured Products Counsel
About The Position
Pagaya is a leading next-generation asset management firm founded in 2015. Combining advanced technology and financial expertise, we use artificial intelligence and state-of-the-art algorithms to uncover exceptional, low-risk high-yield opportunities in alternative credit for investors. Pagaya actively invests in US consumer credit assets.
Pagaya just completed its Series D financing of over $100M led by a prominent strategic financial institution.
The Pagaya team is comprised of over 100 professionals in New York and Tel Aviv with expertise in artificial intelligence, data rich alternative assets and asset management. The team manages over $1.7 billion in assets on behalf of institutional investors around the world.
As a Structured Products Counsel, you will provide the highest quality support to all parts of the business with a particular focus on all capital markets, securitization and trading transactions. We are looking for a smart, motivated, self-starter to join our growing global legal team in a rapidly growing company.
The ideal candidate is a business-minded lawyer who is focused on deal execution and prepared to lead on structuring transactions, while collaborating with our Capital Markets, Origination, Technology and other teams within the company.
To be successful in our Structured Products Counsel role, we’re looking for someone who is passionate about deals and business growth. We want a candidate who is excited by the challenge of working in a legally complex global fintech company and who welcomes the dynamic environment that comes with a growing company. This role will engage with all levels of employees and management, so social and communication skills are vital to strong working relationships.
The role reports to the Head of Legal & Chief Compliance Officer (based in New York) and will be located in New York.
- Act as lead counsel on all securitization, structured products and capital markets transactions
- Negotiate and draft transaction and trading based agreements and documents
- Analyze and structure complex capital markets transactions
- Serve as the internal expert on all capital markets transactions and questions
- Assist with drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, providing insight and guidance from a regulatory perspective
- Stay on top of regulatory developments for structuring and terms of capital markets transactions, and advise management on new risks and opportunities
- Assist Head of Legal and Chief Compliance Officer in building a global legal department, developing and enhancing its service culture and meeting the needs of the business
- Provide any other legal or non-legal support that the business requires, particularly when no active deals
- Qualified attorney in the United States (preferably NY or CA)
- 3+ years experience in US law firm and/or in-house, though right candidate could have significantly more experience
- Significant experience with securitizations, capital markets trading, credit agreements and other sophisticated finance transactions focusing on multiple consumer credit assets classes (unsecured consumer loans, auto loans, mortgages, real estate, point-of-sale)
- Expertise in the structured finance industry and U.S. and international securities laws applicable to capital markets and securitization transactions, including Regulation AB, Securities Act and Securities Exchange Act
- Native/Fluent English (written and spoken)
- Excellent drafting of contracts and advice with minimal support from external counsel
- The ability and flexibility to work long and flexible hours based on the company’s needs
- Excellent judgment and initiative in developing creative, practical and effective solutions, using a business-first approach
- JD or LLM from accredited US law school
- Experience in consumer credit, asset management, investment, funds, fintech or artificial intelligence
- Experience in US consumer credit/lending legal and regulatory regimes, including FCRA, GLBA, TILA, DPPA, UDAAP, UDAP, ECOA, HMDA and RESPA